Research Project in Computer Science (2021-2222)
- Prof.dr. Horia F. Pop, Email:
Good practice rules
These good practice rules stand valid and define the communication between students and instructors at all times.
No recordings allowed
- According to the National Education Act (1/2011), the recording of didactical activity by any means is only possible by explicit agreement of the teaching person.
Consequently, no recording of any didactical activity, by any means and on any support, is allowed.
- The activities during the semester will be held online, on MS Teams (Zoom/Skype will be used as a backup platform). The team Research Project - IE + IR
was created in MS Teams for this class. The access code to the team is rjsv6be.
Please verify that you understand the following
- The syllabus is the official syllabus of this course as published on the Faculty web site.
- The work and the deadlines involved.
- The grading scheme involved.
- All the work has to be submitted by email.
- You are encouraged to contact me by email with issues on this project.
- Attendance is not required. Doing the work in time is required.
Study resources, relevant for this class, are available on the MS Teams platform.
- The aim of this class is to engage the student in a typical research-oriented activity, useful for writing his/her B.Sc. graduation thesis.
- For the report 1 the student will identify a theme, topic or subject that can be worked out during this class.
Then, a plan for this research activity will be devised. This includes the activities the student wishes to engage in order to produce the desired result, like
where to go for literature support, what investigation methods will be required, what piece of software will be needed, what experiments will have to be done, etc.
A table of contents for this research report will be devised. Asking for the support of the graduation thesis supervisor is recommended.
- For the report 2 the student will read the relevant bibliographical resources. S/he will decide which ones are relevant, and write a short five lines
paragraph for each relevant reference, then show how it integrates in the overall plan.
- For the report 3 the student will work on the text fragment documenting the software piece written for or used with this research.
- For the report 4 the student will work on explaining the performed experiments and test, evaluation of results, explanation of what s/he learned from these experiments.
- For the report 5 the full text of the research report will be finalized and delivered.
- Report 1: title, table of contents and the research plan; deadline week 3, Friday 16/10/2020, 6pm;
- Report 2: bibliographical documentation, relevance, assignment to structure; deadline week 6, Friday 06/11/2020, 6pm;
- Report 3: software documentation; deadline week 10, Friday 04/12/2020, 6pm.
- Report 4: document experiments and tests; deadline week 12, Friday 18/12/2020, 6pm.
- Report 5: full text of the report; deadline week 14, Thursday 14/01/2021, 6pm, one day before class time.
- 21/12-27/12 (Christmas)
- 28/12-3/1 (New Year)
- From the point of view of submissions, the week ends Friday at 6pm, as specified in the reports' deadlines.
Penalties for delay
- The penalties conform to the Syllabus: one point per week of delay.
- If these confirmed deliverables do not match the student's own record, please resend the original message.
- Participation to the colloquium is conditioned upon submission of all documents before the presentation. Final submission deadline is 6pm, last Thursday, one day before the presentation.
- The documents cannot be resubmitted for a grade increase.
- With the weekly penalty set in the syllabus the documents not submitted during the semester can be submitted for resit.
- Final presentation of the reports will be discussed online on week 14, Friday 15 January, 08:00-12:00 hours. Each student will have allocated 5 minutes.
- The final schedule will be published here at 7pm, last Thursday, one day before the presentation, based on the list of students having complete deliveries by 6pm.
- Any missed presentation will NOT be rescheduled, and the final grade will be computed without this part of the grade.
- The presentation will have to cover the student's analysis of the work done for this research:
- strengths: strong/positive points, benefits, what the student learned during the research, etc;
- weaknesses: difficulties encountered, limitations/drawbacks, the things that did not work as expected, results below expectations, etc;
- opportunities: possibilities for improvement, progress, etc;
- threats: risks involved, etc;
- impact of the work.
- The presentation will be an open discussion, cameras on, no powerpoint, direct speaking interview.
The final grading conforms to the Syllabus:
- 10% = Report 1
- 20% = Report 2
- 20% = Report 3
- 20% = Report 4
- 20% = Report 5
- 10% = Final presentation
The final grades will be written to Academic Info and made visible for students in the premininary grades area, before the catalogues being closed by the Secretariat. Please contact me directly concerning these grades.
- The resit interview is scheduled on 21 February, 10:00 hours. Please find the schedule here.
- Any file sent for evaluation will be assessed according to the submission delay and penalised as such.
- In order to have access to the resit session all interested students will let me know in advance, no later than the previous Sunday early morning, such that I can prepare the official scheduling.
- Aplicarea penalizărilor de întârziere de 1 punct / săptămână nu este subiect de discuție.
- Săptămâna se termină vineri la ora 6pm.
- Studenții trebuie să se asigure în prealabil că temele la care lucrează sunt teme de cerctetare, nu teme de realizare a unei aplicații software. Dacă tema nu este potrivită, va fi cu siguranță respinsă.
- Studenții își vor face propria evaluare. Daca nota finală care rezultă din aplicarea penalizărilor este mai mică decât 4.50, evident că nu are rost să trimită dosarul.
- Din această cauză, dosare complet noi nu mai pot fi trimise ulterior intrării în sesiune.
- Documente izolate, nepredate in timpul semestrului, pot fi predate cu penalizarea de întârziere precizată mai sus.
- Lista documentelor primite pana acum este aceasta.
- Documentele predate deja nu pot fi predate din nou pentru mărirea notei. Conceptul de mărire a notei cuprinde examinarea din sesiune, nu activitatea regulată din timpul semestrului.
© Prof.dr. Horia F. Pop