|Analysis and complexity of algorithms|
|Teaching Staff in Charge|
After studying the subjects presented in the lectures, the students will be able to:
* use mechanisms for algorithms analysis
* perform complexity analysis for algorithms
* identify the class of a given problem
* design and analyze algorithms
* design programs according to the users' requests
* to check the correctness of a software product after building it
* to use developing tools for applications
Introduction (Algorithms. Algorithm analysis. Algorithm design)
* Mechanisms for complexity analysis (Asymptotic notation. Standard notations and common functions. Amortized analysis)
* Mathematical foundations (Summations. Recurrences and recursion. Sets. Counting and probability)
* Number-theoretic algorithms
* Combinatorial algorithms
* Dirichlet's box
* Classifying problems according to their time complexity. NP-Completeness
* Programming techniques (Divide et Impera. Sorting. Searching. String matching)
* Advanced programming techniques (Greedy algorithms. Heuristic greedy algorithms. Dynamic programming. Elements of computational geometry)
* Solving NP-complete problems and comparison of different solutions (Backtracking. Heuristic greedy algorithms. Probabilistic algorithms. Approximation algorithms. Evolutionary algorithms)
1. CORMEN, T. - LEISERSON, CH. - RIVEST, R. - STEIN, C. : Új algoritmusok, Scolar Kiadó, Budapest, 2003.
2. CORMEN, T. - LEISERSON, CH. - RIVEST, R. : Introducere în algoritmi, Editura Computer Libris Agora, Cluj-Napoca, 2000.
3. BRASSARD, G. - BRATLEY, P. : Algorithmics: Theory and Practice, Prentice Hall, 1988.
4. BRASSARD, G. - BRATLEY, P. : Fundamentals of Algorithmics, Prentice Hall, 1996.
5. HOROWITZ, E. - SAHNI, S. : Fundamentals of Computer Algorithms, Computer Science Press, 1978.
6. HOROWITZ, E. - SAHNI, S. - RAJASEKARAN, S. : Computer Algorithms, Computer Science Press, 1998.
7. KNUTH, D. : Arta programării calculatoarelor, vol. III, Sortare şi Căutare, Editura Teora, Bucuresti, 2001.
8. RÓNYAI, L. - IVANYOS, G. - SZABÓ, R. : Algoritmusok, Typotex, Budapest, 1999.
9. STORER, J.A. : An Introduction to Data Structures and Algorithms, Birkhauser Springer 2002.
10. WIRTH, N. : Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs, Prentice Hall, 1976.
* During the semester the students will have home-works.
* In the seventh week they will sustain a written exam (first mark).
* At the end of the semester they will sustain a written exam (second mark).
* The final mark will be computed as follows:
- Home-works - +1/0/-1 p
- First mark - 4p
- Second mark - 5p