Department of Computer Science,
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Home page: http://www.tcreate.org
Few things I have created
- Jenny 5 robot: a multi-purpose, almost humanoid robot. More details here: jenny5.org
- Optical computing with time delays: a simple way to solve NP-complete problems with delayed photons. More details here: Optical computing with time-delays.
- Multi Expression Programming: a Genetic Programming variant encoding multiple solutions in the same chromosome and thus exploring the search space better than single-solution-per-chromosome techniques. More details here: mepx.org
- MEPX - crossplatform software (runs on Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu) for data analysis (regression and classification). Based on Multi Expression Programming. More details here: mepx.org
- Automatic generation of heuristics. I evolved heuristics better than NN and MST for the Travelling Salesman Problem. More details here: Evolve heuristics
- Traceless Genetic Programming: - a very fast version of Genetic Programming. Does not store the program itself, rather it stores only the output. More details here: Traceless Genetic Programming
- No Free Lunch proof: I gave a practical proof that functions for which random search is better than a Genetic Algorithm exist.
- 3D Printizer - a 3D printer. Joint collaboration with Ciocan Ioan and Ciocan Andrei. More details here: Uzina 3D
Classes I have initiated
- Intelligent Robots - 2006-present. More than 100 different robotic projects have been created using Lego, IRobot, Festo, Lynxmotion, Intellibrainbot robots.
- Unconventional computing - 2007-present. Theoretical and practical examples with Optical, DNA, Quantum, chemical, waster based, etc computers.
Competitions I have organized
- UBBOTS: Intelligent robots day @ Babes-Bolyai University. Took place in each spring. Students made demonstrations of their work to the interested public. National televisions have transmited from the event. More details here: UBBOTS
- Journal papers: 23
- Conference papers: 35
- Book chapters: 4
- Books (in Romanian): 8. I wrote my first book with problems solved in Pascal when I was in highschool and 5 others when I was student.
See here the entire list: List of publications
Research Grants (as Principal Investigator)
Nokia research grant, 2010-2011, 41452 RON, (approx 10000 Euros)
Natural Computing of Excellence, Ministry of Education and Technology, 2007-2010, 526000 RON, (approx 130000 Euros)
Genetic Programming of Excellence, Ministry of Education and Technology, Romania, 2006-2008, 124000 RON (approx 37000 Euros)
Algorithms and models of computation having biological and physical proceses as the source of inspiration, Babes-Bolyai University, 2007-2009, 73600 RON (approx 21000 Euros)
New models of evolutionary computation for generating computer programs, predictions, digital circuits design, data analysis, Ministry of Education and Technology, TD, 2004-2005, 6360 RON
Awards, Prizes, Nominees
Best paper award: International
Conference on Adaptive and Natural Computing Algorithms 2007, (for Oltean Mihai, Liquid State Genetic Programming, International
Conference on Adaptive and Natural Computing Algorithms, Warsaw,
Poland, ICANNGA 2007, B. Beliczynski et al. (Eds.), Part I, LNCS 4431, Springer-Verlag, pp.
Best paper nominee: European Conference on Genetic Programming 2006: (for: Dioşan, L., Oltean, Mihai,
Evolving crossover operators for function
optimization, European Conference on Genetic Programming,
LNCS, Springer-Verlag, pp. 97-108, 2006)
Listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World in 2006 and 2007.
Second prize at National Olympiad (Contest) in Informatics, 1995.
Member of the extended Romanian team for International Olympiad in Informatics, 1995.
International Journal of Innovative Computing and Applications, Inderscience Publishers.
Shlomi Dolev, Mihai Oltean, Optical Supercomputing - 4th International Workshop, OSC 2012, in Memory of H. John Caulfield, Bertinoro, Italy, July 19-21, 2012. Revised Selected Papers. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7715, Springer 2013.
Shlomi Dolev, Mihai Oltean: Optical Supercomputing - 3rd International Workshop, OSC 2010, Bertinoro, Italy, November 17-19, 2010, Revised Selected Papers. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6748, Springer 2011.
Shlomi Dolev, Mihai Oltean: Optical SuperComputing, 2nd International Workshop, OSC 2009, Bertinoro, Italy, November 18-20, 2009. Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5882, Springer 2009.
Shlomi Dolev, Tobias Haist, Mihai Oltean: Optical Super Computing, First International Workshop, OSC 2008, Vienna, Austria, August 26, 2008. Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5172, Springer 2008.
Shlomi Dolev, Mihai Oltean: Natural Computing journal: special issue on Optical Parallel Super Computing, vol. 14, issue 3, Springer 2015.
Shlomi Dolev, Mihai Oltean: Journal of Supercomputing: special issue on Optical Super Computing, vol. 62, issue 2, Springer 2012.
Shlomi Dolev, Tobias Haist, Mihai Oltean: Natural Computing journal: special issue on Optical Super Computing, vol. 9, issue 4, Springer 2010.
Participation to conferences
Optical SuperComputing Workshop, 2009, 2010, Bertinoro, Italy.
Optical SuperComputing Workshop, 2008, Vienna, Austria.
Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO, 5th-11th July 2007, London, UK.
5th International Conference on Unconventional Computation, 4th-8th September 2006, York, UK
ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, 23rd -27th April, 2006, Dijon, France
8th European Conference on Genetic Programming, 29 March-1 April, 2005, Lausanne, Switzerland.
World Computer Congress, The Symposium on Professional Practice in AI, 26-29 August, Toulouse, France.
6th NASA/DoD Conference on Evolvable Hardware, EH'04, 24-26 June, Seattle, USA.
IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC'04, 19-23 June, 2004, Portland, USA.
4th International Conference on Computational Sciences, ICCS'04, 6-9 June, 2004, Krakow, Poland.
First International Industrial Conference Bionik, 22-23 April, 2004, Hanover, Germany.
First International Workshop on BioInspired Approaches to Advanced Information Technology, BioADIT'04, 29-31 January 2004, Lausanne, Switzerland.
7th Joint Conference on Information Sciences, JCIS'03, 26-30 September, 2003, North Carolina, USA.
7th European Conference on Artificial Life, ECAL'03, 14-17 September, 2003, Dortmund, Germany.
5th International Conference on Intelligent Data Analysis, IDA'03, 28-30 August, Berlin, Germany.
PhD in Information Sciences, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca (1999-2004), PhD thesis: New Evolutionary Computation Models and their Applications to Machine Learning, Babes-Bolyai University, scientific adviser: prof. D. Dumitrescu, defended on December 2004.
M.Sc. in Artificial Intelligence, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca (1999-2000).
B.Sc. in Computer Science, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca (1995-1999). Undergraduation thesis: Generarea automata a programelor de calculator, Babes-Bolyai University, scientific adviser: prof. M. Frentiu, defended on July 1999.
CEEPUS Scholarship, Budapest, Hungary, May 2002,
CEEPUS Scholarship, Linz, Austria, May 2001.
Performance scholarship 1999-2000, Babes-Bolyai University.
Performance scholarship, 1996-1997, Babes-Bolyai University.