|MI253||Formal Methods in Programming|
|Teaching Staff in Charge|
|Prof. FRENTIU Militon, Ph.D., mfrentiucs.ubbcluj.ro|
To introduce the students to the formal techniques needed in the development of systems. To have an understanding of both the theory and practice of formal mathematical thinking in software specification, verification and development. To be able to perform formal analysis and to reason about designs and developments. To obtain the ability to analyse the correctness of algorithms, and to measure the qualities of programs.
1. What are Formal Methods? Myths. Applications.
2. Formal Specification:
- the necessity of formal specifications;
- specification methods;
- specification languages (Z, OBJ, VDM, ...);
- necontradictia specificatiilor
3. The proof of program correctness:
- methods for proving correctness;
- automatizing verification process.
4. Refinement of programs from specifications:
5. Model Checking
6. Object Oriented Development.
1. EHRIG H., B.Mahr, Fundamentals of Algebraic Specification, Springer-Verlag, 1985
2. FENTON N.E., Software Metrics. A Rigorous Approach, International Thomson Computer Press, 1995, 332 pages.
3. GOLDSACK S.J., S.J.H.KENT, Formal Methods and Object Technology, Springer-Verlag, 1986.
4. LANO K., Formal Object-Oriented Development, Springer-Verlag, 1995.
5. MORGAN C., Programming from Specifications, Prentice Hall, 1990.
6. SHERRELL L.B., D.L.CARVER, FunZ: An intermediate specification language, Computer Journal, 38(1995), 3, 193-207.
7. WOODCOCK,J., J. DAVIES, Uzing Z. Specification, Refinement and Proof, Prentice-Hall, 1996.
8. KIM S.D., Formal Specification in OO Software Development, PhD Thesis, 1991, Iowa University
9. *** Articole din Internet
A first grade will be given for a final written examination covering both theory and practice, and a second grade will be given for the activity during the term. The final result will be the average of these two grades.
Details at: www.cs.ubbcluj.ro/~mfrentiu/Lectures/
|Links:||Syllabus for all subjects|
Romanian version for this subject
Rtf format for this subject