|Query Optimization in Distributed Databases|
|Teaching Staff in Charge|
|Assoc.Prof. VARGA Viorica, Ph.D., ivargacs.ubbcluj.ro|
Distributed databases are very important in storing data today. The course objective is the presentation of data storing and query processing concepts in distributed databases.
1. Base concepts in distributed databases: fragmentation, replication, etc.
2. Storing data in distributed databases
3. The structure of physical database, file organizations, the structure of distributed database catalog.
4. Index techniques (ISAM, hash, tree indexes, etc.).
5. The implementation of the SQL commands.
6. Algorithms for the implementation of relational algebra operations: selection, projection, join (nested loop, indexed nested loop, merge join), etc.
7. The phases of query processing in distributed databases.
8. Query optimization in centralized relational databases.
9. Data localization of distributed data.
10. Algorithms for query optimization in distributed databases.
11. The cost model for evaluation of query processing.
12. Query optimization in System R si R *.
13. A stochastic model of distributed query optimization, solving with constructive and evolutive method.
C. J. Date: An Introduction to Database Systems, 8th Edition, Addison-Wesley Higher Education, 2004.
P. E. Drenick, E. J. Smith: Stochastic Query Optimization in Distributed Databases, ACM Trans. on Database Systems Vol. 18 Nr. 2, pp. 262-288, 1993.
S. Chaudhuri: An Overview of Query Optimization in Relational Systems, 1998
H. Garcia-Molina, J. D. Ullman, J. Widom: Database System Implementation, Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2000.
G. Graefe: Query Evaluation Techniques for Large Databases, ACM Computing Surveys, 25(2), 1993.
Y. Ioannidis: Query Optimization, ACM Computing Surveys, 1996
H.T. Ozsu, P. Valduriez, Principles of Distributed Database Systems, Prentice Hall, 1991.
R. Ramakrishnan: Database Management Systems, WCB McGraw-Hill, Boston, 1998.
P. Selinger et al: Access Path Selection in a Relational Database Management System, ACM SIGMOD 1979, 23-34.
J. D. Ullman, J. Widom: A First Course in Database Systems, Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 1997.
V. Varga, D. Dumitrescu, C. Grosan: Solving Stochastic Optimization in Distributed Databases using Genetic Algorithms, Advances in Databases and Information Systems, LNCS3255, 8th East-European Conference, ADBIS 2004, Budapest, Hungary, September 2004, Springer, pp. 259-274.
V. Varga, Interogarea bazelor de date distribuite, Casa Cărţii de Ştiinţă, Cluj-Napoca,
50% from the final mark is the mark from a project for implementing a simple distributed DBMS
50% from the final mark is the mark from a written test.
|Links:||Syllabus for all subjects|
Romanian version for this subject
Rtf format for this subject