|Optimization in database systems|
|Teaching Staff in Charge|
To get use with concepts in database systems: distributed database systems, query optimization in database systems.
1. Parallel database systems.
2. Distribuited database systems.
2.1 Distribuited database systems objectives.
2.2 Distribuited database systems problems .
2.3 Distribuited database systems arhitectures.
2.5 Horizontal and vertical fragmentation.
2.6 Replication, catalog management.
2.7. Tranzaction management, recovery control.
3. Query processing.
3.1 Query processesing in relational database systems.
3.2 Algorithms for implementing: selection, projection, join (nested loop, indexed nested loop, merge join)
3.3 Optimization of query processing in relational database systems.
Extensions of optimization for distributed systems.
3.4 Data localization in distributed database systems.
3.5 Cost model for evaluating query processing cost.
3.6 Query optimization for System R si R *.
1. S. Abiteboul, R. Hull, V. Vianu: Foundations of Databases, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1995.
2. Date, C.J., An Introduction to Database Systems, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1995.
3. Helman. P., The Science of Database Management, IRWIN, 1994.
4. Ullman, J.D., Principles of Database and Knowledge-base Systems, Computer Science Press, vol.I, 1988, vol.II, 1989.
5. Ozsu, H.T., Valduriez,P., Principles of Distributed Database Systems, Prentice Hall, 1991.
6. R. Ramakrishnan: Database Management Systems, WCB McGraw-Hill, Boston, 1998.
40% from the final mark is the mark from the laboratory
60% from the final mark is the mark from a written test.